aTyr Pharma is a biotherapeutics company engaged in the discovery and development of innovative medicines based on novel immunological pathways. aTyr’s research and development efforts are concentrated on a newly discovered area of biology, the extracellular functionality and signaling pathways of tRNA synthetases. aTyr has built a global intellectual property estate directed to a potential pipeline of protein compositions derived from 20 tRNA synthetase genes and their extracellular targets. aTyr’s primary focus is ATYR1923, a clinical-stage product candidate which binds to the neuropilin-2 receptor and is designed to down-regulate immune engagement in inflammatory lung diseases. aTyr is publicly traded on Nasdaq under the symbol “LIFE”. For more information, please visit http://www.atyrpharma.com.
Patients and their challenges provide tremendous drive and meaning to what we do at aTyr. We seek a talented and successful individual that deeply desires to participate in our process to make medicines that change a patient’s life forever. This is an excellent opportunity to become a central member of a supportive and tight-knit team at aTyr.
We are in pursuit of a driven and enthusiastic Senior Scientist to lead our Protein Production team in support of developing novel medicines translated from our research platform. The successful candidate will be a recombinant protein biochemist knowledgeable in the expression and purification of transiently expressed biologics. The candidate should be able to take the process from purified DNA through analyzing released final products for screening or in-vivo use. Preference will be given to candidates with deep hands-on experience working with AKTA and HPLC systems using all common surface chemistries. Working with the various research teams, you will be able to help shape and design our new therapies.
The role is an onsite lab-based role where the candidate will organize and execute production of recombinant proteins, antibodies, cytokines, and various synthetase constructs for the research team. The candidate will supervise plasmid production (midi to giga preps) and cell culture production (CHO/293) but will be expected to be more hands-on with purification and QC workflows as a resident purification subject matter expert. Candidates are expected to know how to adapt to unstable purifications or develop better protein formulations leveraging biochemical and/or biophysical data. Successful candidates will use their experience and current data to put forth actionable strategies to the project team to create phase appropriate material at a sufficient quality and quantity. The new Senior Scientist will also collaborate with the process and analytical teams to work on manufacturability studies for lead molecules prior to scale up and tech transfer. Training or mentoring junior Protein Production coworkers is a key responsibility.
- A degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or other life science field
- 5 – 10 years of hands-on experience developing protein purification processes utilizing ÄKTA systems at the 1 – 100 mg scale for in-vivo usage.
- Experience in HPLC analysis and workflows (Waters/Agilent, ChemStation/Chromeleon) using all common surface chemistries as well as general biophysical characterization methodologies such as MALS, DSC, and LC/MS analysis.
- Experience managing multiple projects with competing priorities, excellent planning, organization, and time management skills including the ability to support and prioritize multiple projects
- Previous accomplishments in an industrial lab focused on protein therapeutics discovery/development is preferred, or academic candidates coming from core facilities are encouraged to apply
- Detail-oriented and innovative approach to experimental design, data analysis, and review
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving ability
- Honed organizational skills and the desire to learn new electronic lab notebook systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work with minimal supervision and a high level of ownership of all protein production workflows and outputs
Further Recruiting Information
For additional information about aTyr Pharma, please visit our website at www.atyrpharma.com.
In addition to a competitive compensation package with stock options and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, aTyr Pharma also offers a comprehensive benefits package for our employees and their families, which includes medical, dental, life, disability and a 401(k) matching contribution.