aTyr Pharma is a biotherapeutics company engaged in the discovery and development of innovative medicines based on novel biological pathways. aTyr’s research and development efforts are concentrated on a newly discovered area of biology, the extracellular functionality and signaling pathways of tRNA synthetases. aTyr has built a global intellectual property estate directed to a potential pipeline of protein compositions derived from 20 tRNA synthetase genes and their extracellular targets. aTyr’s primary focus is ATYR1923, a clinical-stage product candidate which binds to the neuropilin-2 receptor and is designed to down-regulate immune engagement in inflammatory lung diseases. aTyr is publicly traded on Nasdaq under the symbol “LIFE”. For more information, please visit http://www.atyrpharma.com.
Patients and their challenges provide tremendous drive and meaning to what we do at aTyr. We seek a talented and successful individual that deeply desires to participate in our process to make medicines that change a patient’s life forever. We are looking for an independent self-motivated Scientist level candidate who will be responsible for implementing high throughput protein design, expression, and screening of novel drug candidate proteins. This position will be responsible for developing a screening workflow for numerous drug candidate molecules to identify viable protein candidates with high specificity for functional screening.
The ideal candidate will have a background in the broad parallel screening of multiple protein variants, and be familiar with various facets of therapeutic protein design. The position will have a high degree of autonomy and the opportunity to work with a research associate to support these activities. Extensive experience in the design of expression constructs and fusion proteins is desired. While the position is expected to be independent in its decision-making, the effort will be highly collaborative and require extensive cross-functional integration. This is a research role and will require reading and understanding scientific publications on cutting-edge biology, and an independent drive to understand a changing landscape.
- Review existing data on target proteins, and rationally design protein fragments expected to retain biological activity
- Design molecular biology tools for rapid and efficient generation of hundreds of fragment/fusion variants
- Generate and screen research quantities of proteins for characterization of desired properties
- Test proteins in multiple assay formats (ELISA, flow cytometry, etc.) to identify lead candidates
- Produce limited selected candidates at a scale sufficient for receptor identification
- Participate in the validation of the biological activity of identified proteins
- Coordination of personnel and input resources to ensure efficient alignment of workflows
- Ph.D. degree in biological sciences with an emphasis on molecular biology and/or protein biochemistry and 1-3 years of experience.
- B.S. degree in molecular biology/biological sciences or a related discipline with 10 years of postgraduate experience or M.S. with 8 years.
- Molecular cloning, and commonly used techniques such as PCR, fragment assembly, site-directed mutagenesis, restriction digestion, transformation, colony screening, gel electrophoresis, and primer design.
- Protein structure, and structural analysis software
- Protein isolation from cellular material (lysates or supernatants)
- Assay formats for studying the molecular function of proteins (ELISA, flow, octet)
- Multicolor flow cytometry is a plus but not required
- Bioinformatics software packages for the analysis of RNAseq data
- Mammalian tissue culture, including passaging, transfection, and harvesting.
- Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint, GraphPad Prism, Snapgene, Benchling
- Pubmed, NCBI, UniProt, Ensembl.
Further Recruiting Information
For additional information about aTyr Pharma, please visit our website at www.atyrpharma.com. aTyr Pharma, Inc. is an EEO employer.
In addition to a competitive compensation package with stock options and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, aTyr Pharma also offers a comprehensive benefits package for our employees and their families, which includes medical, dental, life, disability, and a 401(k)-matching contribution.
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter referencing job 209LB to email@example.com. aTyr Pharma, Inc. is an EEO employer.